Schubert Impromtu on G-flat Major

Everything about repertoire.
jaak
Site Admin

Schubert Impromtu on G-flat Major

Post by jaak » Tue May 09, 2017 7:50 pm

Dear all,

I would just like to share a bit of work progress with you. This is the first edition, which will not go public.

Also, sorry for not putting the picture and sound together in a right way.

Take care!
Jaak

SCHUBERT

Paul_L

Re: Schubert Impromtu on G-flat Major

Post by Paul_L » Wed May 10, 2017 2:39 pm

Never heard this piece before. Reminds me of our WTC Prelude (one day to learn the notes, but a lifetime to perfect): guessing that it's maybe not the most difficult thing technically (for a professional) but extremely challenging to bring out the many individual musical ideas while keeping the overall idea and the momentum/interest. Very enjoyable, you did a great job!

jaak
Site Admin

Post by jaak » Thu May 11, 2017 7:48 am

Dear Paul,

Do you mean the WTC book I number one C-major?
This? PRELUDE

Actually, the piece by Schubert is technically much more complicated. It has accompanying and melody in right hand at the same time.
So it is quite challenging. Also, the trills are not easy to play at all in a good rhythm and flow. I actually have not heard any pianist play it very clearly without losing anything in the musical idea (even Alfred Brendel loses something in my opinion).

But it is possible to learn it quite fast, that is true, but remaining with the certain inner emotion, clarity, subtleness, singing melody, good balance and overall form, it takes a lot of time.

Thanks for listening and commenting!

Best wishes,
Jaak

kuska

Post by kuska » Thu May 11, 2017 2:36 pm

Thanks for sharing. How does your work look like once you feel at ease with a piece?

Paul_L

Post by Paul_L » Thu May 11, 2017 2:46 pm

jaak wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 7:48 am
But it is possible to learn it quite fast, that is true, but remaining with the certain inner emotion, clarity, subtleness, singing melody, good balance and overall form, it takes a lot of time
This was my point: that the big challenge of this piece is not technical but rather to play it with beauty--just like the Bach Prelude in our course. I realize of course that the Prelude is FAR easier in absolute technical terms... My fault for not being clear! Anyway, I really enjoyed your version. What aspects of it do you want to improve?

jaak
Site Admin

Post by jaak » Sat May 13, 2017 11:45 am

Dear Kuska and Paul!

@Paul

Thank you for listening, commenting and compliments as well!! I still feel, it needs work (what I also describe in the answer to Kuska)

About a technically difficult or easy piece.. If something is musically demanding to express, it means, it is technically difficult. As musical nuances can only be expressed with body motion, it needs a more subtle and fine body motion - which is technique actually. It is the same subject we have been talking here before as well. But yes, in terms of learning the note text, you are definitely right.

@Kuska

1) Actually in this particular piece the most difficult is finding a natural, flowing way of playing melody lines, without any rhythmical or intonation distractions. 2) Then finding a good balance between bass, accompanying part and melody line. 3) Then the special places - like trills, to polish them and make them clear and natural 4) And of course the big picture of the whole piece - what to accentuate, where is it meaningful to put more accent on left hand part, how are the returning parts related to each other, careful expression of each clear emotion in the chord progressions. 5) And of course - the overall freedom of body, which is a never ending work.

Thank you!
Jaak

If there is anything you can share, it would be great (as always) :)