Für Elise bars 1-22

Please post here your recordings of the pieces that you learn during this course (and also independently). Then I will give you personal tips and feedback.
pdm

Für Elise bars 1-22

Post by pdm » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:53 pm

Dear Jaak, I learn Für Elise and I'd like to ask you for your feedback on my performance of bars 1-22 (as taught in Month 10 of your course). Strangely, I find that part more difficult than it looks.

Here's the video: https://youtu.be/WDw7zzisbpI

Thanks,
Milan

jaak
Site Admin

Re: Für Elise bars 1-22

Post by jaak » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:40 pm

Dear Milan,

i am very proud of you!
Learning from scratch and working yourself to such a level, when you have family and lots of work is fantastic!
You have done a very good job.

Now, a few suggestions to make it even more simple and easy for you to play this section and piano music in general.

Firstly, I would say that the better is a pianist, the easier it is for her/him to play a piece. It is an ability to decode musical material so, that it can be executed in a precise chain of simple motions. Simplicity is the key here. I sense that you are at the brink of understanding what it really means to move according to music. Your wrist motions are sometimes already very exact and you sense them as expressions of pure musicality. No up or down motion with wrist nor any other body motion should not have other meaning than musical expression. So I suggest to research it even more - when there are accents, beginnings of bars etc., take time, imagine in your mind until you really feel and move together. The less you do unnecessary motion, and the more certain and concrete your motions are, in complete accordance with musical imagination, the better you will achieve freedom in playing.

Secondly - check how high you sit at the piano. Basically your elbows should stay at the same height with piano keys. Your sitting posture alters overall physical efficiency a lot.

Great job, I will now look your second recording.

Best wishes and take care,
Jaak