Struggling with triplets

Your question helps to create value for every student here. I will answer in the best way I can and other students can give their opinion too. So please ask questions and help to build out community. I will post here all the video answers to students too.
pdm

Struggling with triplets

Post by pdm » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:11 pm

Dear Jaak, I got stuck in Lesson 85 on "sixteenths on triplets" and it currently blocks my progress with Für Elise. It's difficult for me to switch from sixteenths to triplets, to fit into the beat exactly, I typically need a couple of repetitions to synchronize. And playing them two hands (one sixteenths, the other one triplets) is completely impossible for me, unless I count 1-2-3-4-5-6 (by 32ths), since I can't focus on both the patterns simultaneously. Do you have some advice how to resolve this problem?

Thanks,
Milan

jaak
Site Admin

Re: Struggling with triplets

Post by jaak » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:48 pm

Dear Milan,

Have you tried practicing with metronome?
It has been very helpful to students to:
1) put the metronome clicking
2) knock two per beat on the table
3) knock three per beat on the table
4) change from two to three per beat without stopping the metronome or having any gaps
5) achieve an ability to switch freely between two or three knocks per beat.

If you are able to do this, you can adapt the skill to the piece as well. Decoding material and then mastering each layer of difficulty step-by-step helps in most situations.
You can choose metronome tempo comfortably according to your thinking speed.

If you already have done this or I could answer something else, please contact me again :)

Best wishes and take care,
Jaak